Wednesday, August 10, 2011

GLOBE BUSINESS CENTER FAIL

(Image from http://new-slang.com)
I've been a Globe subscriber from the time I first got a cell phone in 1996. When asked why I've stayed put, I always say it's because it has the least bad customer service among the 3 telcos. To be fair, Globe's CS for postpaid account is quite good, but turns to horrible when you are a prepaid user. Also, do not get Globe as your internet service provider because they really suck at this. Take it from me and many more who are disgruntled Globe Tattoo or home- and office-based subscribers.

Anyway, I normally pay my Globe bill online, but decided to switch to going to Globe Business Centers so I can use my credit card and earn points. The first time I did it was the other month at the SM Makati Business Center. I was early. There were no other customers and I had my turn at the cashier's right away. When I got to the counter, the cashier did not so much as look up to greet me. So I asked for the manager and pointed out this disrespectful and rude conduct of the cashier. The manager apologized, but the cashier did not. I guess the cashier's DNA did not include the polite gene.

Today I went to Globe's Shangrila Mall Business Center. I got in at around 10:55 a.m. and the office was still closed. The Globe security guard, who was very polite, said that they would open right after the playing of the Lupang Hinirang. I thought this was fantastic of the Shangrila Mall management to instill  nationalism and patriotism on mall employees and patrons by starting the day with this ceremony. When the Lupang Hinirand was being played, I stood at attention, as did the security guards inside the Globe office. However, all of the employees inside remained seated, chatting and laughing away. I really got upset. It reminded me of the time when I went to watch a movie and a group of noisy Koreans remained seated and noisy when the Lupang Hinirang was being played. I shouted, "Hey Koreans! Shut up! And stand up!" I was ready to call 117 if those disrespectful visitors had remained seated. Thankfully for them, they did as they were told.

Back to Globe. 

I was really upset at the employees' disrespect for the National Anthem and all that it stands for. To make matters worse, when the Globe office finally opened for business and I went to the Cashier's cubicle, I was not even greeted a good morning. I wonder if this is the institutional culture of Globe: disrespect. I immediately asked for the manager and Gladys Rojas attended to me. I explained to her that it is a crime to not stand at attention when the Lupang Hinirang is played. I explained to her that as a Filipino, and one whose father fought in World War II, I felt insulted that her co-employees just chatted and remained seated all throughout the playing of the Lupang Hinirang, and act that was after all punishable by law. To her credit, Ms. Rojas apologized and promised to do something about it, although I have my doubts about whether she actually would. Her excuse is that the anthem is not audible inside, and yet when it was playing, the security guards stood at attention.
I may be labelled as overzealous, and so be it. I make no excuses for being a proud Pinoy. I love my country and I love the Philippine Flag and the Lupang Hinirang as national symbols. It is probably in this light that the drafters of  REPUBLIC ACT NO. 8491 or the "Flag and Heraldic Code of the Philippines" (full text at http://www.chanrobles.com/republicactno8491.htm) stated that "Reverence and respect shall at all times be accorded the flag, the anthem, and other national symbols which embody the national ideals and traditions and which express the principles of sovereignty and national solidarity. The heraldic items and devices shall seek to manifest the national virtues and to inculcate in the minds and hearts of our people a just pride in their native land, fitting respect and affection for the national flag and anthem, and the proper use of the national motto, coat-of-arms and other heraldic items and devices."

Globe, shape up. You can't be complacent, especially with the impending merger of Smart and Sun. It's bad enough that one of your image models is Vice Ganda. Don't compound matters by not training your people to be respectful. At the very least.



No comments:

EATERSHIP

If you like to eat well, live well, listen well and have the patience to go through my kilometric but hopefully entertaining blogs, then this is the page for you. I chose EATERSHIP because it sounds like "leadership," and because if you jumble it up, it could also read "hip eaters." Eat and read on!